Who says you can’t have cake for breakfast?
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup coffee grounds (fresh, not used)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup coconut, almond, or cow’s milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream (or the thick cream scooped from the top of a chilled can of coconut milk)
- 1-2 tbs. brewed coffee, cooled (or 1 tsp. coffee extract)
- honey, to taste (about 1-2 tbs.)
Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 7″ or 8″ cake pan (I like the 7″ because it makes the cake taller and makes it fit better on the plate). Then line the bottom of the pan with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit the pan.
In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, coffee grounds, baking soda, and salt. Add the milk, honey, vanilla extract and eggs and mix thoroughly.
Spread into your prepared pan and bake for 30-40 min., or until the cake is done (it should spring back when you touch it). Run a knife round the edges to loosen the cake from the pan, then flip onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Whip the topping ingredients together until stiff peaks form. Pipe (or plop) onto the cooled cake. If you like, sprinkle some coffee grounds on top for garnish.
Serve early or at breakfast! (You don’t wanna be up all night, do you?)